Friday, December 3

Music Moves Me

I have loved music for a very long time.  My mom tells me about the times I would be in the bathroom, and they would hear me belting "Somewhere Out There" at the top of my lungs (don't worry, I was three).  My mom has a great part to do with that.  She is very musical, and would start us on piano very early.  I started to learn how to read music as I was learning how to read books.  I grew up learning piano, and then started learning flute in middle school.  In high school, I also started doing choir and musical theater.  Music basically is a huge part of my life, and why shouldn't it me?


In D&C 25:12, the Lord tells us that the song of the righteous is like a prayer unto Him. To me, that tells me that music should have a big part in my life.  There have been a few times where music has helped me feel the Spirit so strongly.  This summer, as an EFY counselor, I was able to attend a few of the classes taught by CES educators.  One was extremely talented at the piano.  During one of his classes, he gave all of us a few minutes to write in our journals about what we were feeling.  While we were doing so, he sat down and played an absolutely beautiful arrangement of "Be Still, My Soul". I felt so at peace because of the music he played.  It helped boost my testimony of why music can play such an amazing role in a person's life.

Music doesn't necessarily have to be spiritual for a person to enjoy it.  When I'm doing homework, I often go to my Pandora radio and listen to my Broadway station.  It helps me feel relaxed and helps me work harder.  I love going to all sorts of concerts, whether by the Utah symphony, or student recitals.  I took Music 101, and I enjoyed so much listening to all the clips of music.  I know that my love of music will stay with me always.  I hope that all of you can feel the same about the power music can bring into a room.

No comments: