Tuesday, October 5

Family is fun.

Welcome to my family! The word "family" has several definitions, but my favorite I have seen is "a person or people related to one and so to be treated with special loyalty or intimacy". President Gordon B. Hinckley read a proclamation in 1995 which said that the family is central to Heavenly Father's plan, and it is in the family where we can learn certain basic truths. Prophets and apostles have said over and over that the family unit is extremely important.

My family is pretty much the best one ever. Sorry if you feel differently. I love that people stare at us when we're all out in public together. Why do we get strange looks? Most likely because there are 9 of us, and 2 in laws (soon to be three). When we were taking family pictures a year ago, we definitely got a ton of looks. It isn't everyday that you see 11 people all dressed similarly. I love being part of a big family; I think it just makes life so much more fun. There are always people around, and definitely enough people with whom to play volleyball in the pool! It is sad that the entire family is together for about one weekend a year, since I'm at college, and two siblings are married and live away from home. However, when everyone is home, life is a PARTY! We play games, go swimming, have a cookout, play RockBand, and whatever else we want! It's so much fun!

Even when things are going badly, I know that my family is always there to support and encourage me. When I've gone through rough break-ups (trivial, but they seem major at the time!), my older sisters are especially good at helping, since they've also gone through things like that. I love playing with the littlest siblings, because their troubles don't go far beyond who ate the last bit of ice cream. Whenever I am around little kids, I feel like I get a huge reminder of what really matters in life. A bad test grade will only matter to me for so long, but playing and interacting with my family will have eternal consequences.

I know that I get annoyed with my family sometimes, but I'm only human. It happens to everyone. I am trying to change that though. Since I only get so much time at home now, I should always try to make the best of it. Family is a wonderful thing, and if you haven't discovered that truth yet, I challenge you to go discover it now!

1 comment:

Erica said...

I love us too :)