Tuesday, April 12

save el moolah

we all like to save money, right? last night, chris and i watched a little bit of extreme couponing on TLC.  they definitely save money, but i don't need 62 bottles of mustard in my pantry, that is, if i had a pantry.  seriously though, a woman bought over 60 bottles of mustard.

however, it got chris and i to thinking. we're newlyweds, which usually equals poor. and indeed we are. poor, married, college students.  we get ads and coupons in the mailbox all the time, but never really sift through them.  we decided that we should start keep our eyes out for coupons, and even look online for good deals.  even if a coupon is for $1 or 50 cents, it really starts to add up week after week.

i found out that one of my old efy counselors has a couponing/savings blog, which is called Frugally Marisha.  she will post good deals, which are good across the country, and even suggests ways to find coupons online.  not only that, she has a section called couponing 101, helping people to know how to get the most out of their coupons.

also, i got the title of the post from this comcast commercial.  seriously, comcast commercials used to be one of my favorite things. they were always so funny. and sorry it's not the best quality.

4 comments:

Sara said...

Oh my goodness. JT and I watched that show last week and totally had the same thought. I forgot how valuable coupons can be! Except some of those people were a little too extreme...seriously...100 years worth of deodorant?! crazy people. haha.

Erica said...

My favorite is at Smiths when your stuff rings up, and then your coupons/discounts cut down the total. Makes me so happy!

Jill said...

That is such a coincidence because I've never seen that show (we don't have cable) but I was at work on a break at midnight and happened to see that segment with the mustard bottles! I couldn't believe she had 94% savings and only spent like $100 on nearly $2000 of stuff! It got me thinking too....but I could never be that extreme!

Elaine said...

Oh, man.. That's so ridiculous it's funny!

Have you tried looking at food stamps? If you get financial aid and do work study, you can jump through some hoops and get food stamps! It helped sooo much when were in Utah!